Mattew 6 vs 8-15. This is a model prayer that Jesus taught. It includes forgiveness; "forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors". We must always forgive people before we pray to God .It is a requirement for answered prayer.
We must forgive people of their trespasses before our prayer can be answered . God said He would forgive our trespasses if we don't forgive people that offend us.
Forgiveness is a vital ingredient for answered prayer.
In Ephesian 4 vs 32, the bible said we must forgive each other as Christ forgave us.
Colossians 3 vs 13 also supports the above statement.
Luke 6 vs 37, Jesus Christ said that until you forgive, you will not be forgiven. Our is always ready to forgive us Psalms 86 vs 5. God is ready to forgive
Jesus preached forgiveness of sin .Acts 13 vs 38-39 .Mattew 18 vs 21-22,Mark 11 vs 25
What is the forgiveness
- Forgiveness is the act of pardoning an offender. It literally means " to let go" as when a person does not demand payment of debt.
- We forgive others when we let go of resentment and give up any claim to be compensated for the hurt or loss we have suffered.
- Bible teaches that unselfish love is the basis for true forgiveness, since love does not keep account of the injury.
How many time should I forgive?
In Mattew 18 vs 21-22. Jesus said that we must continue to forgive people until they offend us more than seventy times seven (490 times). Jesus said in Luke 17 vs 4 that if someone offends you seven times and ask for forgiveness seven times, you must forgive the person.
From the above scriptures, we must forgive people each time they offend us.
Types of forgiveness:
- Elementary forgiveness - it means you only forgive when the person that offend you repent or plead with or beg . This type of forgiveness is based on when the offenders apologize before the person is forgive. If the offender fails to beg , plead or repent , you may likely not forgive. Your forgiveness depends on the altitude of the offender.Luke 17 vs 4.
- Advance forgiveness - it means you forgive people even before they offend you. Your forgiveness is not based on the offender beg, plead or repent. You will always make up your mind to forgive people no matter their offend may be. Our lord Jesus Christ demonstrated advance forgiveness on the cross in Luke 23 vs 32-34. He did not wait for us to repent or beg for forgiveness. He said "father forgive them for they do not know what they do "you forgive them even before the offense is committed. In Acts 7 vs 55 -60, Stephen forgave his offenders. He said " Lord , do not charge them with this sin. As a followers of Christ , we must operate in this type of forgiveness. Our forgiveness must be based on advance forgiveness. We must forgive people even before they commit offence.
Olayinka Abraham Oluseyi is a Pastor at Living Water Embassy and head Retail Marketing at first bank of nigeria plc.