Several reports of incidents and events happening to the generality of people and people in ministry are indications to the fact that truly there are voices speaking to people to do the unimaginable. Strange voices ordered fathers to rape their daughters; voices made sons kill their parent and grandparent; most suicide, murder, lunatics are as a result of people hearing voices; demonic voices even speak to pastors to pack off the ministry, sell church and find something else doing. It therefore becomes a matter of necessity for individual ministers to sound-proof his/her life and ministry against voices from the pit of hell.
A. Biblical Basis – Gen. 1:3; Psalm 29:3-9; Isa. 30:20-21
From the beginning and till now God speaks and in the Bible both satan and man speak. Yet every voice is propelled by spirits – either the Spirit of God, of satan or man.
- Eve heard a voice that made her disobey God’s instruction (Gen. 3:8)
- A voice told Ezekiel to prophecy in the valley of dry bones (Ezek. 37:3-4)
- David said the voice of the LORD is upon many waters (Psalm 29:3) However,
- Voices can be quiet and can be loud.
- Voices can be positive or negative.
- The voice you hear has power over your life.
- The voices you listen to will determine your destiny – the reason you must listen to the right voice.
- The voices you listen to will either prosper you or destroy you.
- You must discern and determine the kind of voice you will listen to and obey.
It is time each one begins to take note of what he hears, examining by the Spirit of God his line of actions lest one is being bewitched (Gal. 3:1).
B. Different Kinds of Voices
This world is full of voices and the voices are for different purposes, and from different sources. There are voices that want to counsel you, lead your life, control your life, direct your life and dominate you. Check out these:
- Voices of friends – Psalm 1:10
- Voices of counselors
- Voice of the flesh
- Voice of fake prophets
- Voice of your dream and revelations
- Voices of success – those who thought they are successful because of their achievement; they want to control you.
- Voice of failure – those who have failed on one project or the other they want to discourage you.
- Voice of problem
- Voice of discouragement and despair.
- Voice of your blood – the voice of your father’s house,
- voice of struggles and evil patterns.
- Voices of the enemies Voice of incantation – demonic commands and authority.
Most people in life and ministry have been misguided, confused and destroyed by most of these different voices, the reason you must learn to question the voice you hear before you act.
C. How To Discern the Right Voices To Obey
It is important that ministers learn to sound-proof their lives against all negative voices. Here are ways to discern the right voices to obey:
1. Be filled with the Spirit of God.
2. Guide your heart and thought by all means.
3. Weigh every voice on the weighing balance of God’s word.
4. Guide your life against negative voices
5. Pray against all kinds of manipulations and bewitchment.
Conclusively, God is still speaking to His own and his voice is capable enough to destroy the effects of other strange noises and voices in your life and ministry!
“Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.” – John 5:25
Francis Bola Akin-John, Empowering Leaders to Grow Healthier Churches and Ministries Started ministry in 1988. Has now been in ministry for 21 years. Pastored 5 denominational churches in the space of 8 years.
Started Church Growth Ministry in 1994 after hearing God said “go and strengthen pastors and support churches to grow and be healthy”. Has held hundreds of conferences across Nigeria, Africa and Europe with combined attendance of over 30, 000 church leaders